OPD has seen an increase of auto burglaries occurring throughout the day and evening hours. Please be advised of the following when parking your vehicle on the street:
• Never leave anything in public view: Phones, laptops, cords/adaptors, bags (diaper, gym, makeup), clothing, groceries, loose change, packages, mail/identity information, bank/credit card slips.
• Windows and doors: Roll them up, lock them.
• Keys: Never leave them in the ignition or in the car even for a quick errand.
• Anti-theft devices: Use them to secure steering wheel or brake pedal. They are proven deterrents.
• Alarms: Activate them when you leave the vehicle.
• Avoid parking in isolated or poorly lit areas.
Inform the police immediately. For property crimes that have already occurred, call the Oakland Police non-emergency number (510) 777-3333 or submit a Crime Report Form online at www.oaklandpolice.com.
If a life is in danger or for crimes in progress call 911 or program your cell phone to (510) 777-3211.
Oakland Police Department